Monday, August 04, 2008

Looking Back but Do I Want to Look Ahead?

Today, I was at Wal Mart picking up a few back to school supplies. My friend looked at the school stuff, neatly arranged in bins by price was waiting for my cart. My friend looked at her not yet two year old daughter and told her that she didn't want to have a child old enough for rulrs and note book paper and colored pencils. I thought about my 13 year old notaboybutnotaman at home, loading the dishwasher and said I can't imagine having a child old enough for dorm room supplies.

In five years I will be buying those things and packing my child up to send off to college.

Like college - away from me

Where I won't see him every day.

where he won't be able to tell me his corny made up jokes

or reguile us with what he learned that day.

No comments: